LITERACY VOLUNTEERS of ORANGE/ATHOL
We Are Hiring - 3-12-22
The ideal candidate for this position will have excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills. The candidate must exercise excellent judgment and discretion with confidential or sensitive materials, have a strong sense of customer service, be a problem-solver and be compassionate in interpersonal dealings. We are seeking a dedicated person who sees helping others as a passion more than as a job. LVOA welcomes a range of applicants from recent college graduates to experienced professionals returning to the work force. LVOA is an affiliate of Literacy Volunteers of Massachusetts (LVM).
During COVID, and in accordance with LVM, LVOA and local regulations, it is possible to work remotely.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Meet targeted annual program goals set by grantors, LVM and LVOA Board of Directors.
- Coordinate community outreach to increase program visibility and recruit volunteer tutors and students.
- Conduct volunteer information sessions.
- Coordinate LVOA registrations for prospective volunteer tutors to attend online tutor training workshops conducted by other LVM affiliates.
- Conduct student intake interviews and assessments.
- Match tutors and students and provide ongoing support to tutor/student pairs through monthly contact, in-service trainings, open houses, a newsletter, use of social media, a reference/lending library, individual consultations and other means.
- Develop new program initiatives to meet the needs of students.
- Maintain accurate tutor/student records and submit required reports and data in a timely way.
- Attend all LVM statewide program coordinators' meetings and trainings, and additional professional development opportunities.
- Represent LVOA with community organizations.
- Attend all LVOA Board meetings and provide support to the Board.
- Minimum B.A. degree required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to implement programs.
- Ability to work with diverse groups and sensitively interact with a diverse group of volunteers and adult students.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Possess a genuine interest in promoting adult literacy and compassion for the struggles of adult learners.
- Ability to work some evenings and occasional weekends for in-services or special events.
- Occasional travel required.
- Excellent internet and computer skills required (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Constant Contact or Mail Chimp).
- Experience in nonprofit management, volunteer programs, adult basic education or ESOL desirable.
- Bi-lingual or bi-cultural.
- Social media and desktop publishing skills are desirable.
Hours and Compensation:
The position is primarily grant funded under grants from the MA Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and the United Way of North Central Massachusetts and is contingent upon appropriations and program performance. This is a 10 hour a week position for 50 weeks with a rate of
$23/hour. There are no benefits offered.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and put “LVOA Coordinator Search” in the subject line. The position is immediately available, and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. LVOA complies with all federal and state employment, ADA and non-discrimination laws.